Wisconsin Trout Fishing – Lure selection and size info

Well, been a bit under weather and killed some time here. It’s cold in WI, so here’s my views on lure selection and size. I still don’t know what a spinner actually imitates. Wounded minnow? Insect? Tasty piece of metal? Hahaha. I had thought minnow, but with fish hitting often on the drop into the water I though insect. Never saw a minnow drop from the sky 🙂 Happy Fishing! R

1. Samson K 20 on October 9, 2020 at 4:37 am

I cant seem to catch a brown trout at all. They hide under tree limbs and stuff and i cant get them to come out. do u have any tips for how to deal with this

2. Tyler Visina on October 9, 2020 at 4:37 am

Is that first picture on the lower Kinni? If so think I know the spot?

3. Samson K 20 on October 9, 2020 at 4:37 am

Based on my experiences with fall trout fishing the last 2 years, fall stocked rainbow trout in nj dont seem to want anything to do with spinners, but I caught a bunch of trout on spinners in the spring. In the fall, the trout like jigs and spoons. Do you have any idea for why the stocked trout might have different preferences in different seasons? Fortunately, all rainbow trout slam chrome and blue kastmasters

4. chris bajema on October 9, 2020 at 4:43 am

I feel like between rapala’s and panther martins I’ve wasted hundreds of dollars of late. Bills on the raps break on first impact of anything else other than water, and the Martin’s come junk right outta the package… wth?? I should rewrite a letter of quality control isses💡

5. Logan Prichard on October 9, 2020 at 4:43 am

What waterproof box do you use?

6. eric simmerman on October 9, 2020 at 4:50 am

Ron – looking for some tips/feedback on homemade lures. Mine don’t see to perform as well as store-bought ones, both in functional performance and fish bites. I’ve noticed that although all blades on my lures will swivel and spin freely in hand that sometimes in the water it looks like the blade is trapped against the body or swivels very slowly. It also seems that casting upstream or downstream makes a difference.

I’ve tended to use the same size blades but vary the weight/size of the lure body. Could that impact how well the blade spins in the water? Would an "under-sized" blade not work well on a larger body?

It would be nice to figure out these issues as you know how expensive store-bought lures are and I seem to catch more than enough trees, bushes, rocks and other snags every time out that home-made lures are the only feasible option.

Thanks for your time, Eric.

7. chris bajema on October 9, 2020 at 4:51 am

Your sooo right One fish or snag and that 4$ lire is junk👎time to shop online. Thanks for the help and Link to LPO. What kind of boxes are those and do you prefer a certain hook sharpener?

8. Dennis Mack on October 9, 2020 at 4:53 am

You’ve said that you use 10 lb Power Pro braid with no leader. When snagged and can’t wade to retrieve lure, curious if you are able to bend out Eagle Claw treble hooks and get lure back without breaking line?

9. Demons Gaming / fishing on October 9, 2020 at 4:55 am

Wow I don’t have
    some of these lures but got good ones for a trout lake in CA.

10. Daniel Werner on October 9, 2020 at 5:04 am

I catch 20 inch browns all the time fly fishing with nymphs but my gf GF does not know how to fly fish. This information helps I want her to catch some fish this year. We live in Western WI BTW

11. Demons Gaming / fishing on October 9, 2020 at 5:17 am

I have caught a lot off a rooster tail in Sonoma county in California

12. Don Mfla on October 9, 2020 at 5:22 am

Thank you ! You are very open and generous with your info. I have found that manufactured lures catch fish but do not last. Unfortunately arthritis keeps me from making my own lures but I would like the stronger wire lures that you make
    Do you sell them ? Im looking to buy a dozen assorted if you sell
    Thanks again for the great info

13. TigerJake2007 on October 9, 2020 at 5:26 am

Ron, thanks so much for the tips. Wish more people were as generous with their knowledge. Great insight suggesting smaller spinners early on. Hit one of my favorite PA creeks yesterday and really did well. Thanks.

14. Michael Fischer on October 9, 2020 at 5:36 am

I have debated making my own spinners for a long time now, but my hang up is finding a wire bending device. Do you hand bend, have a home made set-up or did you purchase one? Recommendations?