Monster Hunter Generations: COMPLETE Beginner's Guide!

Monster Hunter Generations: COMPLETE Beginner's Guide!

Griffin McElroy tells you everything you need to know to enjoy AND be successful in Monster Hunter Generations.

Check out our full video catalog: https://goo.gl/Cqt2cn
Visit our playlists: https://goo.gl/pM7TNe
Like Polygon on Facebook: https://goo.gl/GmkOs4
Follow Polygon on Twitter: https://goo.gl/cQfqrq
Read more at: http://www.polygon.com

1. michael delos reyes on October 19, 2020 at 3:45 pm

damn this game is so diffucult to understand

2. haughty garbage on October 19, 2020 at 3:46 pm

Here 2 years later and wow hearing Griffin’s voice like this makes me emotional

3. Dahir Dahir on October 19, 2020 at 3:47 pm

Anyone still play on the Nintendo?

4. 清楚Seiso on October 19, 2020 at 3:49 pm

this game takes way too long to accomplish little to nothing. deff not for me

5. Dane Brooks on October 19, 2020 at 3:50 pm

Stumbled across this video looking for tips on starting Monster Hunter.
    But I listen to the My Brother My Brother and Me podcast so this being voice by Griffin is SO DISTRACTING. I can’t take it seriously, I’m expecting him to go off into some ridiculous bit.

Oh well.. still some helpful info.

6. Nikolas Gura on October 19, 2020 at 3:50 pm

3 years later i picked up this game as my First monster hunter. Playing on Nintendo switch and its fcking amazing i think in switch version tutorial get some overhal cuz most of the things you mentioned Here i know from tutorial.. But rly improtant thing iv lerned Here is how stats are working thanks rly much m8.

7. Ultimate on October 19, 2020 at 3:53 pm

Freedom unite is harder

8. big ghae on October 19, 2020 at 3:54 pm

Aerial greatsword,for the big boi monsters

9. Kaizo107 on October 19, 2020 at 3:54 pm

Checking in from the future…
    Would pay a subscription fee for a podcast that is just Griffin talking about Monster Hunter.

10. CG Bass on October 19, 2020 at 3:54 pm

Small tip from a vet for anyone wishing to play long sword: watch out for your massive reach when performing the spirit blade combo when playing with friends.

I’ve pissed off a lot of people by being careless of where I was standing when performing some combos. This is because you can trip your buddies. Stick to the edge of the tail at all times and make a habit to be responsible for getting it to come off. Leave the head for the hammer player.

For all new players: In Gen this may be fine, I’ve heard, but in other games… A player mounting a monster is NOT a free opportunity to hit it as you can mess up the mount sequence.

11. Namir Perez on October 19, 2020 at 3:55 pm

Great video, this is my first time playing a MH game, it was extremely useful. Thanks!

12. Papabootleg on October 19, 2020 at 3:56 pm

This video helped alot because I spent over 300 hours in monster hunter 4 ultimate and never got into Generations and this helped me get into this game after a few months of not playing it.

13. the StuffPerson on October 19, 2020 at 3:58 pm

My only complaint with the guide is the description of the Hunting Horn. The buffs are an additional gimmick of the weapon to boost the HORN’S dps and gameplay. It just so happens to also give them to teammates. Hunting Horn applies the most exhaustion damage of any weapon, and the second most stun. Depending on your style it does massive dps. Also its faster than dual blades once you do the self-improvement buff.

14. BoomNikN on October 19, 2020 at 3:58 pm

How do I get stuff from insect

15. Peace Man on October 19, 2020 at 4:00 pm

that was a good video for beginners! thanks!

16. Keyo Abrigo on October 19, 2020 at 4:00 pm

There’s a problem with what he said for adept as being for more experienced players, he somewhat right but veteran a lot of veteran players just know how to dodge and they also use aerial style where you can jump up on them to avoid attacks

17. Chloe Mae Y. Quiambao on October 19, 2020 at 4:01 pm

I’ve never played any Monster Hunter game before but I really want to give it a go. Thanks so much for this video. It really helped me a lot!

18. Матвей Донченко on October 19, 2020 at 4:01 pm

Спасибо, помогло 🙏

19. Dragon James on October 19, 2020 at 4:02 pm

I’m here to remind myself of the basics

20. Patrick Bateman on October 19, 2020 at 4:03 pm

I’m trying to force myself to give this game a chance but it’s so tempting just to play something else

21. Matt Baker on October 19, 2020 at 4:04 pm

Can you tame monsters on monster hunter generations?

22. LittleKittyGaming on October 19, 2020 at 4:05 pm

I really appreciate the video and i know that u were talking fast so the video doesn’t take along time but daaaaam my brain started to hurt after that how can u not be tired of all that talking😂😂😂😂😂😂

23. Sad Hoodmovie on October 19, 2020 at 4:05 pm

Thank you for this just bought the game

24. just Lea on October 19, 2020 at 4:05 pm

So…prowlers dont get any explanation at all. Why?
    Edit: NVM i thought it was gonna leave it out. Its explained

25. stoneybridger on October 19, 2020 at 4:07 pm

Sounded like a great idea so bought it on switch, must have put well over 2 hours into it in the last few months

26. Moon Man on October 19, 2020 at 4:09 pm

In MHGU what are the strongest weapons? Or are all of them balanced? I’ve been using the sword and shield with striker.

27. Captain Infinite on October 19, 2020 at 4:12 pm

Imagine usinh aerial while using insect glaive

28. OfficalHxnor on October 19, 2020 at 4:13 pm

Thank you. I got the monster hunter generation and when I first played. I didn’t understand how to play at all. I just played training quests and did nothing else.

29. Dallas Alvarado on October 19, 2020 at 4:15 pm

I forgot the Media-Illuminary 30 Under 30 Griffin McElory worked for Polygon.

30. Geo Serenity on October 19, 2020 at 4:15 pm

sword and shield? powerful defence? …nah, it has some defensive ability but nothing to rely on

31. Gamecore on October 19, 2020 at 4:15 pm

Surprised polygon covered this game. It has no gender slider.

32. ツLili on October 19, 2020 at 4:15 pm

monster: has a tail
    me: it’s free real estate

33. Team Sophie Meow on October 19, 2020 at 4:19 pm

Thx helps me alot

34. Alexander Whitbourn on October 19, 2020 at 4:19 pm

The Veggie Elder is a Palico, I just thought he was an old boomer

35. S. M. R. Swasey on October 19, 2020 at 4:20 pm

This sheet is complex my goodness. I got this for 20$ on my switch figured why not. Cool game. Wicked confusing build system. Probably need to get in the mood to play. Like from zelda to witcher 3 needed fps to break them up lol. For now i go back to ashen

36. Squid Hunter on October 19, 2020 at 4:20 pm

Don’t forget if you are a gunner you can use a paint coating/ammo as opposed to paintballs

37. Culpado on October 19, 2020 at 4:21 pm

Thank you so much. I really appreciated each tip – besides I already know some from Gen. You got my "like". #GBY

38. Kurokun on October 19, 2020 at 4:25 pm

You talk too fast …

39. Ninja King360 on October 19, 2020 at 4:26 pm

How did you get pass the 4 star quest in solo

40. kirk cavenaugh on October 19, 2020 at 4:27 pm

Haven’t played in over a year so I have to watch this

41. Ali Almuhannadi on October 19, 2020 at 4:28 pm

Awesome video Thanks!

42. sheepnoisebah on October 19, 2020 at 4:29 pm

you gave the worst suggestions for beginners… long sword and prowler. long sword hits your teammates and disrupts their gameplay if you dont know what you’re doing.

43. yaboy chips ahoy on October 19, 2020 at 4:32 pm

This guide helped me a lot so far i have 100+ hours

44. Benjamin Decimo on October 19, 2020 at 4:32 pm

Jfc this game is so overwhelming

Hope I didn’t waste 20$ 😅

45. Gunslinger SyayoRPG/CRPG on October 19, 2020 at 4:33 pm

WTF?! I don’t understand how this Critical Juncture worked, If i press too early it won’t work if I press it too soon fucking don’t work at all !!

46. Alucard Lifestealer on October 19, 2020 at 4:33 pm

Hello sir i play monster hunter 3rd and i found the game interesting but when i watch MHGU and it has insect glaive weapon that i would like to use but monster hunter 3rd does not have it,
    Is this game will be playable in laptops or androids using ppsspp emulators…

47. F B I on October 19, 2020 at 4:34 pm

Planning to buy this after i finish monster hunter 4 ultimate

48. Levin Ramos on October 19, 2020 at 4:35 pm

What is your armor? You look like an onimusha and i like it

49. Glizzy With Bev on October 19, 2020 at 4:38 pm

Basically what this guy told you sums up to:

EAT FAST
    BEAT ASS

50. Dean C on October 19, 2020 at 4:42 pm

This video makes me anxious.

Griffin NOT making goofs? No… don’t like that.