How To Catch Fiddler Crabs In The Winter (Even When Bait Shops Can't Find Them)

How To Catch Fiddler Crabs In The Winter (Even When Bait Shops Can't Find Them)

Stop paying full price for your tackle and get on the water fishing tips every week. Click here to join us in the Insider Club: https://bit.ly/34Tw0hA

It’s fiddler crab time!

Fiddler crabs are some of the best sheepshead baits out there.

Sheepshead love them and they’re very durable on the hook.

However, the problem with fiddler crabs is that they’re tough to find in the winter.

Bait shops often don’t have them and, unlike the summer where you see hoards of fiddler crabs everywhere, they seem to disappear from the muddy beaches in the winter.

But here’s the good news: they don’t actually disappear in the winter — they’re just harder to find.

And in this video, I’ll show you exactly where and how to find them.

I’ve used this method to catch dozens of fiddler crabs and then used them to catch dozens of sheepshead.

You’ll also learn how to keep fiddler crabs alive overnight so you can go out the day before and catch them to prepare for your trip the next morning.

Have any questions about finding and catching fiddler crabs in the winter?

Let me know down in the comments.

Tight lines and I hope to see you in the Insider Club!

1. Jack Polmann on January 12, 2021 at 5:15 pm

“They’re usually in the ones closer to the water” @ 4:05

If the holes look active (sand trails and balls of sand around entrance) there is most likely a crab in there. The reason you’re finding them by the water is that the crabs aren’t very deep in the sand otherwise they’d be submerged due to the higher water table. The further from the water, the drier the soil, and the deeper they will be (in the colder months)

The wet mucky soil will tend to have the crabs closer to the surface (I.e. shallower hole = less effort to obtain bait)

2. F G on January 12, 2021 at 5:20 pm

I went out on Honeymoon Island with a shovel one day and dug around a crapload of those holes and didn’t find any. The only thing I could figure was they were way deeper than I was willing to dig. I dug down a good foot and a half most places. The places I dug were the same spots I’ve seen thousands of them scurrying about before.

3. THE FISHING CHANNEL N.E. With Captain Walt on January 12, 2021 at 5:23 pm

Great video Tony !
    Brings back memories, up here in Connecticut we haven’t had fiddler crabs for years, Most people believe that the invasive species “Asian crabs”or “Asian Shore Crab” have taken over their habitat , But the good news is they work well for blackfish ,(a.k.a. tautog or tog)
    One of the videos I’m working on for my channel shows how we catch these crabs along the shore (it’s pretty easy they live under most rocks at low tide) anyway, I’ll let you know when my crab catching video is posted,
    tight lines

4. MARTIN on January 12, 2021 at 5:23 pm

👍😍🎅😍👏

5. Ethan Marema on January 12, 2021 at 5:25 pm

I can’t ever find fiddler crabs in the winter. Thanks for the tip

6. Garrett Irwin on January 12, 2021 at 5:28 pm

Mud crabs are a great substitute for sheepshead in the winter…. And I prefer mud crabs over fiddlers.

7. Robbie Johnson on January 12, 2021 at 5:29 pm

Do you have video on hooking the crabs

8. Ashleigh Dylan on January 12, 2021 at 5:31 pm

So Nice 💘💘💘💘💘💘

9. Scout on January 12, 2021 at 5:31 pm

Not a single bait shop where i live has fiddler crabs.

10. wannabeangler on January 12, 2021 at 5:32 pm

I’ve known about using fiddlers for ages, but never knew how to catch them when non-existent in the cooler months. Thanks for the tip! South East VA has very similar climate to much of FL, so this knowledge is quite valuable.

11. Gianluca Scerri on January 12, 2021 at 5:32 pm

Do you need a crabbing license in Fl to get fiddler crabs?

12. Michael Gandy on January 12, 2021 at 5:37 pm

Nice Yoda

13. elis JanicRenz on January 12, 2021 at 5:40 pm

I’m Alone 😍😥

14. Mack Holt on January 12, 2021 at 5:47 pm

Bro is that by mosquito lagoon?

15. spraym 88 on January 12, 2021 at 5:48 pm

Tony you are DA MAN Sir 💪🏼💯💪🏼💯

16. Alabama Smokey Wilson on January 12, 2021 at 5:49 pm

Great tip thanx .Smokey 😎😎😎

17. Paul Melia on January 12, 2021 at 5:51 pm

Thanks Tony…..great video. I went out the other day to catch Fiddlers but they where either too small or seemed to be dug in really deep and I only had a small hand trowel so it was a lot of work getting to them…..do you find them deeper in the sand as the weather cools off?

18. Erick Hernandez on January 12, 2021 at 5:55 pm

If you are able to produce alot more videos that are about gathering and catching would be great

19. Robbie Johnson on January 12, 2021 at 5:57 pm

SALTSTRONG is best club great job Tony

20. Kamihya luv on January 12, 2021 at 6:03 pm

Wonderful 👏 👏 👏

21. chris ball on January 12, 2021 at 6:03 pm

Good video !!! I keep one of those folding Army style backpack shovels in my truck. Walmart has them in the camping section .

22. Salt Strong on January 12, 2021 at 6:03 pm

Are You Sick Of Mediocre Days On The Water? Tired Of Paying Full Price For Your Fishing Tackle? Then click here to join us in the Insider Club: https://bit.ly/34Tw0hA