Homemade Device All Fishermen Need (Multi Use Fishing Rod Leash )

How to make the one device that could save you a lot of money while fishing from a bridge, boat, pier or dock. It’s a homemade leash that keeps your fishing rod and reel from going over the bridge when a big fish pulls and you aren’t holding your fishing pole. With some creative thinking I’m sure you can imagine endless ways of using this rod and reel securing rope. I actually got the idea from some subscribers who watched a video of me securing my fishing rod by wedging it in the handle of a five gallon bait bucket. They were saying that I should make a leash out of paracord and carabiner clips to wrap around the rod and reel and also the bridge piling.

Here are some other ways this fishing pole holder can be used:

-As a line for securing a bait bucket while wade, boat, or shore fishing

-It will work as a pet leash

-If you have a big fish that you need to drag, wrap the rod and reel securing cord around the fish and use it to drag your catch

There are a lot of different uses in a sportsman’s world for this paracord rope with carabiner clips fishing rod leash. At the end of the video I’ve asked viewers to have a little fun with me and let’s brainstorm about some different things this homemade device can be used for.

1. Megamatt Outdoors on October 10, 2020 at 4:38 am

Excellent idea. I have several. I use them in my boat as well as wade fishing and pulling gear up into my treestand

2. still pg on October 10, 2020 at 4:38 am

Clip it right way you should!

3. Redfish Incorporated on October 10, 2020 at 4:41 am

Dollar tree, two carabiners for a dollar, 25 foot of nylon cord for a dollar. 2 bucks plus tax, out the door. Buy 3 more pair of carabiners and make four of them five bucks plus tax.

I use these as leashes all over my kayak, for rods, my bait bucket, even to tow my yak when I’m wading.

4. DEER RECOVERY TRACKING DOG on October 10, 2020 at 4:46 am

Think the end going to the rodnreel I wouldn’t even tie a Dring to it and just tie/fasten a D-loop or even that Cat Loop knot. That way if you have your rod leash attached and a fish hits you won’t have that Dring/clasp dangling in the reels way if you decide to leave it attached when fighting a fish in. Most cases your not going to dis-attach your rod leash right away when a fish hits and be fumbling with it during the fight to detach it with more chances of it getting caught in your reel. Make sense?? Lol.

Then again if you attach the business end of the leash with a Dloop your also not going to have time when a fish hits to fight it in and try to undo the Dloop, still with chances of the Para Cord getting wrapped up in your reel. Guess it’s a give or take type of deal, lol.

5. mickey h on October 10, 2020 at 4:51 am

Hi JC, Glad you like the rod leash. I tie a loop in some cord and then tie the loop to my rod in a place where it won’t interfere with the reel. The loop is a separate piece of cord, not on the rod leash. The loop stays on the rod and I hook the carabiner into the loop. Thanks, Mickey

6. James Perrone on October 10, 2020 at 4:52 am

why not just use a bungee cord……we us them on piers and boat rails all the time…

7. Gucci dan on October 10, 2020 at 4:54 am

2nd jc

8. Levi Serbin on October 10, 2020 at 4:56 am

sounds like a great way for wading, keep your bait bucket close

9. timothy peacoe on October 10, 2020 at 4:58 am

made one works great use it on my boat great idea keep them coming JC

10. raspy olivers on October 10, 2020 at 4:58 am

jc keep them videos coming brother tight lines great mind think a like

11. Adam Preece on October 10, 2020 at 5:00 am

Could use it to if your bucket handle brakes

12. Ramy DA on October 10, 2020 at 5:00 am

How bored are you? Just tie the damn thing goddammit!

13. mathew hunt on October 10, 2020 at 5:02 am

skyway pier ? dude ! i live in palmetto ! lets fish sometime !

14. KlaeFishing TV on October 10, 2020 at 5:02 am

Nice

15. David S on October 10, 2020 at 5:04 am

Looks great. The yellow color is perfect for night fishing. Maybe add salt water resistant carabiners if you have to deal with rain and sea water.

16. Evie Soto on October 10, 2020 at 5:07 am

Lol thx JC

17. ِAbueasa on October 10, 2020 at 5:07 am

cool

18. Stevieb FX on October 10, 2020 at 5:08 am

On a kayak you could put 3 or 4 extra clips in between the 2 end clips to hook on the handles of your tackle box, bait bucket ect. Incase the kayak turns over you won’t loose all your stuff.

19. Ken JondoeYT on October 10, 2020 at 5:11 am

Attach your oars if your in a kayak or canoe

20. Andrew Rollins on October 10, 2020 at 5:16 am

A dog leash works for me, I already have a dog, I have several leashes. I like your art project too, I may try it.

21. Dailey Life on October 10, 2020 at 5:16 am

I always have extra paracord and carabiners on the kayak. Like you said I can troll a bait bucket or even tow a buddy who doesn’t have a pedal kayak lol.

22. fresh start on October 10, 2020 at 5:17 am

It was a medium heavy rod more videos like all of them how bout a catch and cook crab thanks

23. mat a on October 10, 2020 at 5:17 am

shit some of us up here in
    PA , just tie them to our bottom boot lace then kick back and take a nap.. lol      how ever we also tie our rod holders to our boats as well. loved the video never heard of cats paw. thank you

24. Dree Head on October 10, 2020 at 5:22 am

25. Bill Begenau on October 10, 2020 at 5:23 am

Exactly how I secure my bait bucket at The Skyway.

26. fresh start on October 10, 2020 at 5:24 am

I lost my rod on the skyway bout 3 years ago

27. Gene on October 10, 2020 at 5:25 am

walmart, 1 buck carabiner, 6 bucks for 50 ft 550 paracord, ran out of caribiners, last 2 with just loops on end, a little higher then dollar tree but still a deal for cheap insurance for your expensive ro9d and reel

28. mat a on October 10, 2020 at 5:28 am

shelter main beam… HA!!!! mechle Jackson your kid( classic)      FLIP LINE ! WHITE WATER USE OR EVEN FLIP LINE ON LAKE FOR CANNOE OR SMAL RAFT>>>

29. Bayleigh N Owen on October 10, 2020 at 5:31 am

I went fishing in that spot because I live right next to there and got some nice snook and a giant gar would like to be able to send you some pictures

30. M Alex on October 10, 2020 at 5:32 am

…… great advice dad.

31. Henry Schmidt on October 10, 2020 at 5:32 am

OMG You have a computer moniter made for us old men!

32. G.R, Dray on October 10, 2020 at 5:32 am

Good idea. I just lost a rod and reel a couple weeks ago in the river. I’m going to try a couple of these today. Thanks for sharing.

33. Salty 77 on October 10, 2020 at 5:35 am

I used pvc pipe and Velcro tape at docks and piers, but that’s much more compact for travel. FYI that’s a half hitch and not a square knot on the tag end. Never can go wrong with rope and clips with ya. Keep it up 👍👍