Fly Fishing Brushy Creek for the First Time – McFly Angler Episode 80

Fly Fishing Brushy Creek for the First Time – McFly Angler Episode 80

Brushy Creek is a small river up north of Austin Texas, that travels through Round Rock. I didn’t get to fish the entire stretch, but what I fished looked really pretty and nice. The day I fished was slow from what I was told, I did see some locals fishing and asked how they were doing. All of which said it was the slowest day they had seen in a while. Of course as soon as I go out right? Anyway, its a pretty little stream that holds Guadalupe and smallmouth bass, sunfish, carp and rio cichlids. I believe there are some other species as well.

I had a great time, even though it wasn’t as productive as I wanted. I got to test out a foam hopper I’m working on, and a small crayfish fly im working on as well. Both of which caught fish. I caught some panfish which I think one was a redbreast sunfish but I could be wrong. I did catch a little bass, and Im not sure if it was a Guadalupe or a smallmouth, Im still learning how to identify them. I am new to fishing in Texas, and so I could always use your guys help identifying the fish I catch. Also please help me with figuring out how to catch Rio’s. Im not sure the technique. Honestly it looked like they were spawning to me, chasing others off their little nests at least it looked like. Not sure if that’s a bad time to fish for them or not.

I also saw a snake, and while it could be the non verminous water snake that is common in the area, I am quite sure it was actually a cottonmouth (or commonly called water moccasin). It ducked under a rock before I could get my camera positioned on him so I could not get any video, and I didn’t want to go poking around the rock and get bit. I almost stepped on him, I need to remember to be more careful and look where im walking each time I go out.

Keep in mind I got all of you a discount at risen fly rods. They offer some really good gear at a great price, and the price even got better with an additional 15% off. All you gotta do is type in McFly at checkout and your discount will be applied to anything you order.

As always I am listing the gear I fished with on this trip.
Rod: Risen ITB – https://www.risenfly.com/products/rods?_pos=1&_sid=3e187d1c0&_ss=r
Reel: Risen Armor – https://www.risenfly.com/collections/reels/products/armor-reel
Line: Risen Alpha 2 – https://www.risenfly.com/collections/fly-line/products/alpha-ii-lines
Leader: Rio powerflex plus tapered leader 4x – https://amzn.to/2M5LBka
Bag: fishpond summit sling – https://amzn.to/2X8qpR6

Many of you know I sell flies, so if you need some flies to fish with, I would be honored to be the one to tie them up for you. Please contact me through instagram or facebook, links are below. You can private message me there and request your flies. Prices are reasonable and the quality of the materials are very very high!

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ My Shirts and other Merchandise! ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
T-Shirts/Jackets/Stickers/iphone cases and more: https://teespring.com/stores/mcfly-angler-logo-merchandise

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ Follow Me on Social! ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/mcflytier/
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/mcflyangler/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/McFlyAngler

1. all I do is work on September 14, 2021 at 8:25 am

You don’t use a hook the Rope gets Tangled in their teeth

2. Primate on September 14, 2021 at 8:25 am

Nice to see you got out man! Looked like a lot of fun. Those gar will bite minnow-type lures. I’ve never caught one on fly yet but I have caught them on flashy minnow-like artificial baits. Of course, most of the one’s I’ve caught have been on natural bait.

3. Clayton Beesley on September 14, 2021 at 8:27 am

Btw for the alligator gar, I’ve had luck throwing flies with a ton of flash, sparkle clousers usually work pretty well, however, I’m pretty sure when they are rolling to the surface, they aren’t actually feeding, you have to wait until they aren’t rolling.

4. Mike Casebolt on September 14, 2021 at 8:28 am

Next time check out brushy creek that’s off of Hair Man Road. You’ll have more opportunities and wading is really easy.

5. patio87 on September 14, 2021 at 8:28 am

That corporate soulless clapping musak

6. Golden Twilight on September 14, 2021 at 8:29 am

You have some nice streams in your neck of the woods. I live closer to Stillwater fisheries they contain some nice trout and carp. The trout near me are fussy and difficult to catch, but on the right day they can be undone. Good luck with the fly development.

7. FishingWithC on September 14, 2021 at 8:29 am

Nice video!
    My guess for the number of strikes: 4
    The first sunfish you caught looks like a regular bluegill, but it’s hard to tell.
    I’m not sure what that second sunfish is.
    The bass you caught looks like a Guadeloupe bass. Can’t wait to see those new flies!

8. Jim Tanner on September 14, 2021 at 8:30 am

Nice video always good to out

9. 368 Degree Fishing on September 14, 2021 at 8:34 am

Use rio grande flies for Rio cichlids or so I’ve heard

10. Stephen Carroll on September 14, 2021 at 8:34 am

Awesome video.. good to see you fishing again

11. Trek Wilcox on September 14, 2021 at 8:35 am

Sick vid bro

12. michbruv712 on September 14, 2021 at 8:36 am

Love the chill Texas fly fishing content, I’ve always had good luck with size 8-size 6 olive wooly buggers with the dragonfly beadhead

13. dadragonfire outdoors on September 14, 2021 at 8:39 am

For longnose gar, try tying a few e.p. flies with a long tail. This will snag in the jaw of the fish since it is hard to hook them.

14. Mason P on September 14, 2021 at 8:42 am

Rios are a super fun fish to target, flies with short trails that are on a Jigged hook work the best. Most of the time I tie my flies in 12, 14, and 16 with some bead chain or small led eyes. Tenkara is a debate but lots of the locals consider it to be the most productive way of catching them even though you still can catch them on traditional fly rod and reel. They are a super fun fish to catch because of their bad attitude and look really cool too!

15. mike packer on September 14, 2021 at 8:44 am

to see mcfly back out on a river absolutely makes my day! thanks for the video.

16. John Korte on September 14, 2021 at 8:46 am

Hey, I was hoping to get some fly pattern and size recommendations for the Dolores River. We will be headed there in about a week. Thanks for any info you may provide.

17. Clayton Beesley on September 14, 2021 at 8:47 am

Awesome video man!

18. MassiveDink Hunters on September 14, 2021 at 8:48 am

I love these videos from you, their fun to watch and you show some educational stuff on fly fishing and more
    For those gay I’d say you have to use any "big" or small hook and take any big paracord than tie that in the hook and start fraying up the cord their teeth will get stuck in the cord

19. rich105759 on September 14, 2021 at 8:48 am

Great video as usual man. I’ve been meaning to head up that way but the Covid stuff has everything messed up. I will say the fishing is slower this year for some reason. I believe the weather has something to do with it but the biggest one is the pressure. I see a lot more people on the water this year. They creek that I go to often is super crowded and I know a lot of people are fishing without a license and over harvesting fish. I see more trash and just disrespect for the environment. Hope to see you on the water sometime.

20. John Belusko on September 14, 2021 at 8:49 am

We catch alligator gar on the rivers when we go cat fishin. I have caught alot of them on just live bait. Lill sun fish, bluegill shad…..even on worms from time to time but more so on live bait

21. 368 Degree Fishing on September 14, 2021 at 8:51 am

Readbreast sunfish was the first one

22. Justin McQuaide on September 14, 2021 at 8:53 am

Great to see you back out again as always a great video !!

23. Shannon Mayo on September 14, 2021 at 8:53 am

Great video – two flies to pick up: Rio Getter by Matt Bennett and the Rio Bandito by Chris Johnson, aka, Mardicraw.

24. Eric Vasquez on September 14, 2021 at 8:55 am

I’m a fan I live in round rock area I fish it a lot maybe if interested I would love to show you some of my spots and have a good fishing trip let me know

25. Kerry Pitt on September 14, 2021 at 8:58 am

Shawn it is good to see you out and around my friend. I am going to be a snob here and say it is beautiful water you are fishing but I would miss the trout or even Smallies. But you fish where you can and I know Texas has some beautiful water. I hope those patterns you have been developing work out.
    Did you try streamers? For the bass you saw?

26. Fish Tails on September 14, 2021 at 8:59 am

Love your fishing video! (and video editing) Enjoyed watching it. Just subbed!

27. Kerry Davids on September 14, 2021 at 9:01 am

Nice scenery. Too bad it was a slow day.

28. all I do is work on September 14, 2021 at 9:04 am

For the alligator gar you will have to get rope fray out the ends and tie it on to line

29. Dale N on September 14, 2021 at 9:10 am

Great to see you in the Austin area! Love to meet up and get a line wet with you. Have you found Living Waters in Round Rock yet?

30. Jamie Meaux on September 14, 2021 at 9:11 am

Enjoyed the video. It was difficult to see the fish in detail but I believe the 2nd one was a redbreast. They have the really long ear flap. The bass was either a spotted bass or guadalupe bass. The gar was likely a long nose. Try a red and white streamer, trip it past their nose horizontally and if they turn and follow then stop the strip. Rios take all the same flies that other sunfish take. They can be picky at times and difficult to catch on beds but not impossible. I find a crawfish colored fly works best on Rios. I tie what I call a crawfish briminator. You should try fishing a popper dropper setup for sunfish. I tie a size 8 llano bug with a crawfish briminator dropper. I’ve fished Brushy many times. It’s an incredible fishery with lots of trophy fish. Thanks for sharing

31. Kauveh Rad on September 14, 2021 at 9:13 am

Fish species in order: Bluegill, redbreast sunfish, largemouth bass, redbreast sunfish.

32. Wyoming Out of Doors on September 14, 2021 at 9:14 am

I just checked out your channel and i subscribed , i have a couple trout fishing videos on my channel also maybe you can check them out thanks

33. Johnny Lightning on September 14, 2021 at 9:15 am

Well buddy, the Covid-19s got everybody in a bind. Keep getting out as often as you can and keep the good stuff coming.

34. Flytyer Streaming on September 14, 2021 at 9:18 am

That was pretty cool, I used to live in Round Rock back in the late 80s and early 90s. Still have some family in the area. How did you hear about Brushy Creek?

35. Charlie Boutin on September 14, 2021 at 9:18 am

Good to see you’re back fishing..They don’t call that Brushy Creek for nothing! I’ve never fished it..pretty place, but like you mentioned,some areas hard to even Roll cast. Enjoy your calm demeanor..even when snagging brush🙂, I’m usually not that way!🤬😂 Have a great one Mcfly folks!🎣

36. Terry Grier on September 14, 2021 at 9:19 am

Way too many ads for such content.

37. Farmer Bob on September 14, 2021 at 9:21 am

Glad you had a chance to wet a line. That was a beautiful stretch of water. Surprisingly clear for a Texas creek.