Dry fly fishing in Texas!? – San Antonio Texas Creek Fly Fishing – McFly Angler Episode 74

I was really starting to miss the small creeks and dry fly fishing in Colorado. I think I mentioned that to Paul like 10 times on the last trip, and so he took me to this little creek to catch fish on the dry fly. I was fishing a llano bug most of the early morning and got quite a few fish from it! Then I switched to a rio getter and started nymphing. Very fun day with more fish than I could count. Easily caught over 20 fish, maybe 30… nothing really large but that Guadeloupe bass was a decent size for sure! Also I got a Rio grande Ciclid! How cool is that!

Go check out Paul’s youtube channel called Killer fuzz. Link is here. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMcCAix0u6yIvFvRY6vpg3Q

Also make sure you use my discount code at risen fly rods as you will get an additional discount. Go to www.risenfly.com and add anything from rods and reels to fly tying equipment to your cart, then type in McFly at checkout to get your discount!

1. Chappell Outdoors on September 10, 2021 at 12:17 pm

If you come to nashvill tennesse I can show u some great trout fishing

2. Me 2 on September 10, 2021 at 12:19 pm

bla bla bla

3. Kerry Pitt on September 10, 2021 at 12:24 pm

Never hotspot! You are bang on! Never tell anyone. For me some of the best parts of fly fishing is exploration and discovery! You are one of the best people I know when it comes to ethics. As always, my water is your water!

4. john donovan on September 10, 2021 at 12:27 pm

Bought a Risen Genesis 5wt. after watching one of your previous videos. Love it Shawn and the price is low for such a rod built like this one. Thanks so much for the info on these rods.

5. TheMedic512 on September 10, 2021 at 12:37 pm

Once it warms back up we will have to meet up at brushy creek and slay some Rios, there are some big ones in there.

6. Profe Reyes on September 10, 2021 at 12:40 pm

Come down to Kerrville. I’ll take you to a few nice spots.

7. Karl Meyer on September 10, 2021 at 12:40 pm

That was a beauty of a guad!

8. Andrew Shoemaker on September 10, 2021 at 12:41 pm

Did I just watch you catch some sort of sub species of cutthroat trout out of Texas ditch water???!!!! What the hell was that?

9. Johnny Lightning on September 10, 2021 at 12:42 pm

You’re right, that Rio Ciclid is pretty. Like you said not a lot of big fish but it sure looks like it was fun. That type of stream would be a great place to take a kid once they learned how to keep the backcast out of the trees. Keep the good stuff coming.

10. KellyJernigan on September 10, 2021 at 12:42 pm

landed a 6lb bass off a dry fly in new braunels last weekend, Super clear water at the park right where the springs come up and the bass hang in the current just like a trout.

11. Fishigan Milligan on September 10, 2021 at 12:44 pm

Hey man! Fellow fishing Youtuber here from south Texas! Just getting into fly fishing! Thanks for your content. It’s a big help!

12. Joe Dom on September 10, 2021 at 12:45 pm

Nice footage. Hope you can start getting out more.

13. Killer Fuzz on September 10, 2021 at 12:45 pm

I’ve caught some nice bass, rios and pan fish out of this creek, big ones. I fish during the week there.

14. Kauveh Rad on September 10, 2021 at 12:47 pm

Fish in this video: Redbreast sunfish, largemouth bass, longear sunfish, Rio grande or pearl pearlscale cichlid, quadalupe bass.

15. David Aguiar on September 10, 2021 at 12:49 pm

You need to get Risen to send you a 2 wt set-up. Those fish would be allot more fun on something lighter.

16. SanJuanRiverFlytyer on September 10, 2021 at 12:55 pm

Your friend is right that is a red breasted sunfish. Also, since you like carp fly fishing, there’s parts of the Guadalupe tail water where they have them. That Rio getter would probably be a good fly for that.

17. Farmer Bob on September 10, 2021 at 1:00 pm

Happy to see you got out and good on your buddy Paul for finding a productive location. Just got back from Utah and despite some cold and snow great fishing!

18. Curtis Blair on September 10, 2021 at 1:00 pm

Looks like fun,, May not be fishing for trout in Colorado, but we can’t all be there. Best to just get out where you can and enjoy. 😊

19. Mavrik Griffin on September 10, 2021 at 1:06 pm

Beautiful spot! Wish Kansas had this clear of creeks.

20. Primate on September 10, 2021 at 1:13 pm

I’m so jealous right now. All I’ve been doing is working and I’d love a morning on a river like that. Glad you got out!