Does This Vintage TEXAS LURE Still Catch Bass? | RARE fishing lure challenge

Does This Vintage TEXAS LURE Still Catch Bass? | RARE fishing lure challenge

Retro Bassin’ Episode No. 9

This week we take a look at the Pico Perch, a classic Texas lure released by Pico Lures in the 1940s. This lure style has gone by a lot of different names over the years including Bayou Boogie, Swimmin’ Minnow, and Talkin’ Perch, but the original was designed in Corpus Christi, Texas, by Fred Nichols.

Check out Pico Lures!

Check out Monte Good music!!!

We are giving away a vintage Pico Perch in this episode of Retro Bassin’! Drop a comment below and I will I pick a comment at random on April 6, 2019 as the winner.

💥 Gently tap the “like” button, drop a comment, and we’ll keep fishin’ it old school! 💥

SOCIAL MEDIA

Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/pg/retrobass…

Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/retrobassin/

Here at Retro Bassin’, we are all about bass fishing with vintage fishing lures and fishing tackle. Freshwater fishing has changed a lot over the years, but we remain true to the golden era of largemouth bass fishing, when bassmasters and bass fishing heros like Bill Dance, Roland Martin, Jimmy Houston, Hank Parker, Rick Clunn and Tom Mann ruled the waters. And let’s not forget bass fishing heros like the Bass Professor Doug Hannon, Dr. Loren Hill, Johnny Morris, Bill Plummer, Don Butler, Fred C Young, Alex Langer, and many others, whom all had significant contributions to the bass fishing tackle industry. Each year we looked forward to the Bassmaster Classic to see who would be king of the bass fishing world and what the best bass fishing lure would be for that year. Back when you had to call an 800 number to reach Bass Pro Shops or Cabelas, and there were no such thing as Google Maps or Googan Baits. We still love discontinued and/or forgotten products from bait makers like Heddon, Fred Arbogast, Rebel Lures, Cotton Cordell, Pico Lures, Strike King Lures, Burke Fishing Lures, Storm Lures, Mepps, Blue Fox, Rapala, Poe’s, Creek Chub, Bomber Lures, Crème Lures, Lunker City, Bill Norman, Color-C-Lector, Culprit, Flying Lure, Fish World, Bass Pro, Whopper Stopper, and Uncle Josh. Each week, by either Tracker Bass Boat or fishing kayak or bank, we will hunt largemouth, smallmouth, and Guadalupe bass with retro bassin’ tackle. Speaking of Bass Tracker, both Bass Tracker Heritage and Bass Tracker Classic owners will enjoy the homage we pay to their new rigs. Keep the carpet side up and the metal side down, and remember to fish it old school!

1. Chris Sibert on January 12, 2021 at 5:07 pm

Next time in texas Id like to see you live 😏

2. Tyler Brown on January 12, 2021 at 5:12 pm

After 3 videos this channel is now in my 5 go to. Keep it up👍🏻

3. Bev O on January 12, 2021 at 5:14 pm

Whopper stoppers bombers mud bugs Spence scout devil horse and country music can’t get better than that and they do make a floating rattle trap and they made a spin trap throw a rattle bait fish it like you mean it and believe you got to believe Monty good music

4. wayne 750 on January 12, 2021 at 5:14 pm

love it.. this channel will take off.. i am also an 80’s guy, from Frederick Md.. good luck and keep the vid’s coming..

5. Rick Luciano on January 12, 2021 at 5:17 pm

love the channel more of these young youtubers with fishing channels need to learn some fishing history it kills me to see what little thay know

6. UltimateNinja1984 on January 12, 2021 at 5:18 pm

My fav Lipless are CC Super Spot, Ra t l trap, Rattlin rapala, spro aruku shad, LJ sugar shad, Rebel racket shad and other older 1s.

7. Crazy Toy People on January 12, 2021 at 5:20 pm

Love all the B Roll and the sound track selection. You film really well as a storyteller. I have one of these somewhere but haven’t ever bothered to fish it. It’s in the someday box. You asked for lures in this episode to review in future episodes. I haven’t caught up yet but assume you haven’t gotten around to Spoonplugs yet. Please catch a fish with one as I can’t!

8. S BM on January 12, 2021 at 5:22 pm

You should try out the Bayou Boogie night fishing around dock lights, you’ll be amazed at the amount of striper and sand bass you will catch..

9. m chenault on January 12, 2021 at 5:23 pm

I’m still looking for a pack of tube worms.. they were the bomb

10. Bev O on January 12, 2021 at 5:23 pm

Don’t forget the heddon sonic

11. Luke Prince on January 12, 2021 at 5:24 pm

Yeah I’d like to hear more about the saltwater history that

12. Dave M on January 12, 2021 at 5:25 pm

👍

13. INSTA austin_01 silverado on January 12, 2021 at 5:26 pm

Dude you honestly need more subscriptions this channel is good

14. Bev O on January 12, 2021 at 5:35 pm

Hey retro man love your chanle showing pico perch l knew them as cut plugs and bayou boggy love the history part of your show l go back to 1964 using those old rods old plugs l collect lures let me tell you what l did bout 1989 l bought a shiamno fighting rod paid 45$ fished it a lot retired it still have it pulled it out of retirement and tied on a reble black star and caught a bass . Then my wife was at goodwill she called me up and said l got two fishing reels here they are green do you want them l said buy them little oil some new line a old garica spinning rod about 1980 ? Put on a Spence scout plug and turned the handle listen to the clicker and caught a bass my name is Rick although it comes up as my wife’s name but love your concept you got to know your roots people starting a empire on nothing but a dream and desire Mann’s jelly worm flip tails heddon torpedo and crazy crawlers jitter bugs do nothing worm jack chandler knights tube worm with alka seltzer and last but not least a fishing rod called a mean green stick so keep it retro and to keep it old school you got to remember from whence you came to know how far you gone figure that one out and l use to love those river runts long live retro and l hope people remember buck perry

15. S BM on January 12, 2021 at 5:36 pm

SUBBED… but some of your info is incorrect… The Bayou Boogie came first and it was through A.D. Mfg until Harvey Whopper got ahold of it, then Heddon, then Pradco.. But nice video. The Boogie is a straight countdown and sank faster and lower; swimmin minnow, mad minno, and Pico Perch sank much slower and stayed up… Heddon also only made the 2" Boogies. Not 2 1/2"…. I have a VAST collection of all of them. The Bayou Boogie is my favorite lure of all time…

16. RocnAtl on January 12, 2021 at 5:39 pm

I remember years ago when me and a friend saw an older dude hitting bass left and right off the bank….we asked him what he was using and he said Bayou Boogie. We went to Walmart and purchased a few WITH some wading boots and went back and started hitting them. Glad they brought this bait back.

17. Michael Swanger on January 12, 2021 at 5:40 pm

Great video you should do a review and history of the baits invented by the Bass Professor! I loved watching Doug’s underwater footage and I probably learned more about bass fishing from him then any of the mainstream Pro Anglers.

18. Fishing with Vin on January 12, 2021 at 5:41 pm

This is like a trip back to the eighties fishing from your hat to the boat and lure. Gonna have to sub to your channel dude

19. Anna Taylor on January 12, 2021 at 5:42 pm

Nice this is the fire time I’ve watched your channel. And I really like it. Keep up the good work. Thanks for the awesome info.

20. JoelFishes on January 12, 2021 at 5:43 pm

Have you done a vid with the old school Creme worm circa it’s introduction? My pops goes on and on about when he first started seeing them back in the day.

21. Victor Remick on January 12, 2021 at 5:45 pm

THOSE WERE THE DAYS

22. Marty Priest on January 12, 2021 at 5:45 pm

You know that one lure that you hardly use because it’s hard to find? Well it’s this lure. I have like 7 of them. Use with a deep diver trolling..oh man !!

23. Irvin moreno on January 12, 2021 at 5:45 pm

Awesome interesting bait!! I wish I could get my hands on one!! And dude I love your Texas shirt it’s awesome

24. Bev O on January 12, 2021 at 5:47 pm

Old school all the way check our slinkier worms and l bought some of those flip tails

25. Dan Serrano on January 12, 2021 at 5:47 pm

Awesome!
    Cool Music

26. Joel Rodriguez on January 12, 2021 at 5:48 pm

Just picked up a Vintage Bomber Crank Bait. Maybe that could be next vid? Quality content by the way

27. Justin Barber on January 12, 2021 at 5:52 pm

Would like to try that pico! Thanks for the knowledge!

28. Eric Sevier on January 12, 2021 at 5:54 pm

caught my first bass on a Pico perch when i was a little kid in the 80’s. Just ordered a couple of Pico perch from Pico last month.

29. Joshua on January 12, 2021 at 5:54 pm

While watching this i knew i had something close to this in my tackle box, went and checked…. it’s indeed a pico perch my grandpaw used to have and the color is blue and clear. Awesome video,

30. JoelFishes on January 12, 2021 at 5:56 pm

You put out really enjoyable videos man, can’t believe you haven’t taken off quicker.

31. Carl Weitzel on January 12, 2021 at 5:59 pm

Been fishing in far northern Minnesota (Itasca County) since 1968 — my family since 1933. I still fish old school: CCBC Pikie Minnow, South Bend Bass Oreno, Bayoo Boogie, Johnson Silver Minnow weedless spoon, Shannon yellow and red skirted spinners (OH, I miss Uncle Josh for those last three!), Cotton Cordell Spot and Big O. Our son took his girlfriend up there this year and her first fish since childhood was on the Baby Bass Spot. They may BE old, but it never GETS old. I still troll ebay and get what I can while I can. Thanks for what you do.

32. Bev O on January 12, 2021 at 6:00 pm

Your great l got some lures called hole in the head and some rabble rouser the popping version and 2 of the crank baits just went through my vast store of plastic and found some 10 inch paddle tail lures can’t wait

33. Ed Vinkler on January 12, 2021 at 6:01 pm

I just love what your doing. Like a trip down memory lane, I think I shed a tear on a couple of vids remembering all the good times I had fishing growing up ( born 1973) . I love the fact your sharing it with your kids because that’s what I’m doing with mine also, we are having a blast. Keep up the good work and I will be telling all my fishing friends to check you out! Just Awsome 😊